Thursday, August 30, 2007

Singleitis, Part II

Marrieds setting up non-marrieds is a never-ending cycle of awkwardness. I swear.

Last week I received a random email from a friend of my aunt (different friend, different aunt) saying that she works with a guy who she thinks would be great for me and wondered if I'd be interested in meeting him.

Sigh.

I knew she was just trying to be nice so I hesitantly told her that I wasn't completely opposed to the idea...but that if it was awful, she'd owe me.

The next thing I know, she's copied us both on an email saying, "Rachel...meet Clint. Clint...meet Rachel. Happy chatting!"

Fuck.

Luckily, we both seem to have good senses of humor because our subsequent emails to each other joked about where our situation would fall on a scale of 1-10 on the awkward meter and whether it's better to be a pro-wrestling fan or a Pacman Jones fan. (Thoughts?)

The most recent email I received was a request to actually meet in person. Which is a whole different ballgame...possibly a whole different sport. All I know about this Clint person is that he's tall, blonde, does triathlons and (based on his emails alone) is intelligent and quite witty.

But he could be a train wreck in person...

I'm leaning towards meeting him. Maybe for drinks after work (strategically planned because if it goes well, we can stay for dinner...but if it's horrible, I can beg off early to do laundry or some such mess).

And looking on the bright side, if it is a train wreck, I'll have a fantastically awkward story for the history books.

10 comments:

Clint said...

I could bring my laundry on the date if that would help.

Rachel said...

Oh, snap. You found my blog...

I'd say on a scale of 1-10 in awkwardness, THIS would definitely be a 9.

Jenn and Chris Looney said...

Ha haaaaaa. I was so hoping I would read exactly this scenario on the "comments" section. I love you Rach - for moments exactly like this. :) Miss you.

Lindsey said...

I say go for it girl :) it cant be anymore awkward than him finding this blog can it? hahaha

Jay said...

You know I was just teasin' ya, right?

londongirl said...

I HATE being set up by marrieds. It's always bloody awful and it makes me wonder what on earth they saw in me that makes them think that I'd like them.

Maybe you'll have more luck.

Scooby said...

Go for it. I would read about it, whether it turned out to be train wreck or romance. At least it seems like you have interesting conversations through e-mail...

Read my blog about Turkey Claw Steve if you get a chance. That should psyche you up.

Jay said...

I'm starting to think he's got her in a pit telling her to rub the lotion on.

Rachel said...

Jay, I have absolutely no idea who you are, but you make me laugh. Just thought you should know.

Jay said...

Thanks. That was my intention. I really enjoy reading your blog and always look forward to any updates.